BARA – NEW PLYMOUTH BUSINESS AND RETAIL ASSOCIATION
In 2014-2015 a pilot project to align major events strategy across New Plymouth was undertaken. A Central Business District (CBD) Business and Retail Association (BARA) was established as part of this framework. A joint venture was established between Taranaki Chamber of Commerce and BARA to foster and grow vibrancy in retail areas, and to fund a part-time BARA Coordinator – Michelle Brennan. Michelle’s role is to liaise between key organisations, through communication and collaboration. She advocates for businesses and maximises opportunities for progress in the city. Michelle collates and communicates views to be the collective voice of BARA and works with the appropriate organisations to find solutions, where reasonable and possible. Any marketing is done from a collaborative perspective for the collective gain, rather than for individuals. Currently BARA has 158 members that include professional services, retailers, hospitality, building owners and other interested parties.
To see BARA Members Click Here
Currently most of our members are located from Dawson Street to Hobson Street, however BARA is inclusive and is not limited to these parameters. The target market for members is those with an interest in increasing vibrancy in our retail areas and supporting local business.
Ongoing liaison with agencies includes the following:
- NPDC – Mayor, Councillors, Executive Leadership Team, Community Partnerships, Central City Facilitator, Policy Advisors, Events Team, Venues Team (includes TSB Stadium, TSB Showplace, TSB Bowl of Brooklands, Yarrow Stadium, Govett Brewster/Len Lye, Puke Ariki)
- Venture Taranaki Trust
- Taranaki Arts Festival Trust
- New Plymouth CBD Alive Facebook Page
- Members – email updates, personal visits, two members meetings per year
Why should you become a BARA member?
Our business areas need support from all retailers and businesses within their confines. We need people and their money to bring in sales to our shops.
NO PEOPLE = NO MONEY = NO SALES = NO SHOPS = no jobs
We need you to join BARA to help make our areas enticing, interesting and exciting. It’s up to us collectively to bring about change.
- BARA is the collective voice and presents a unified view of its members around business district development and beautification
- BARA’s purpose is to encourage people to support local businesses. It promotes “Shop Local” to the community – this creates employment and growth
- BARA is recognised as the organisation to go to with any problems or concerns, suggestions to enhance the CBD and assistance with applications to NPDC and other agencies.
If you are passionate about the city you live in and have a genuine interest in keeping our shopping areas alive, then we want you to be part of an organisation that has the same philosophy, passion and drive. No one wants to see empty buildings and unemployment; by working together we can make a difference.