Published: Tuesday 29 October 2020
Kia ora koutou
The Chamber would like to congratulate the following MPs on their election:
Glen Bennett – New Plymouth, Labour, Barbara Kuriger – Taranaki-King Country, National, Steph Lewis – Whanganui, Labour, Angela Roberts – List MP, Labour.
The Chamber acknowledges Jonathan Young, New Plymouth MP for the last 12 years, for his massive contribution to the region, to the business and wider communities and for being a passionate advocate for his electorate.
A historic win for Labour! The win was expected by most, but the magnitude of the win was perhaps a surprise. As a Chamber, we are apolitical and work with the government of the day, as that is in the best interest of the business community.
What do we want from the government?
- Businesses would like to see the momentum continue on infrastructure projects that have already been started and for the list to grow with a staggering timeline so that resources can be spread appropriately over the next five to six years.
- A rapid return of overseas labour (with an effective COVID management system in place) to fill the void.
- A strong emphasis and funding for training so that job seekers can be trained appropriately, and for WITT to be leading in this area.
- Support for Māori, especially young Māori jobseekers who comprise the largest number of new job seekers. The same applies to housing.
It’s a busy-busy time in Taranaki again!
The Chamber is proud to be supporting:
- TAFT for Reset 2020 – 05 to 15 November
- Sustainable Taranaki and WITT at the Convergence for a Carbon Transition Conference - 26 November
- Taranaki Start-up Weekend in Hawera - 13 to 15 November
You can also enjoy the Taranaki Garden Festival, Taranaki Arts Trail and Feast Festival!
- Graphix celebrated 25 years in business at Mike’s Brewery Bistro when hosting our monthly Business Connections event
- Tandem Group’s Network of Trades was hosted by Lines Defined in Midhirst where we heard about how sleek and modern design for balustrades can meet council requirements
- Petite Cha from New Plymouth Girls High School was announced as the 2020 Regional Winner of the Young Enterprise Scheme. Our thanks to our Key Partner Massey University, Funder TSB Community Trust and all of the awards sponsors.
- Our annual Business Showcase at the Plymouth International is this Wednesday15pm-7.30pm
- Business Connections is on Tuesday 3 November from 5.15pm-7.00pm and is hosted by Learner Me and Proformac Technologies at their premises in Gill Street
- The TSB Taranaki Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards Evening is on Saturday 14 November and is a sold-out event
- Network of Trades is on Tuesday 17 November and is being jointly hosted by Tandem Group and Kiwi Hire Group at their new location on the corner of Devon & Smart Roads
- Social Media Content Planning - Tuesday 17 November
- Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Basics – Wednesday 18 November
To RSVP for any of our events, register for training, or for more information click here
Is your business a Chamber Member?
If not, you are missing out on huge opportunities to showcase your business, grow your networks, be represented via our advocacy and be part of a vibrant Chamber network!
Let’s do better business, together!