Published: Monday 27 June 2022
Councils’ support for businesses
One of the Chamber’s key roles is to advocate for business and there are times when we challenge our local councils on planning and policy decisions, and other factors that may have an impact on businesses. But we also work in partnership with them to achieve some great outcomes.
The SOS Go Local promotion has just ended with $20,000 in prizes won. The Chamber, BARA, Venture Taranaki and Mediaworks received funding from the New Plymouth, Stratford and South Taranaki District Councils to support our local businesses, particularly those hardest hit with the cancellation of major events. Over 12 weeks anyone who purchased a voucher for $25 or more for a local business on the SOS website was in the draw for weekly and monthly prizes.
Another part of this great business support initiative was a focus on mental health and wellbeing. The Chamber organised three free webinars for business owners and their teams. Dr Tom Mulholland, well-known doctor and author, talked about Striving and Thriving Post Covid-19 and Beyond. He provided valuable insights into resilience and offered some tips and techniques to help people moving forward.
We congratulate our three district councils for recognising the need, and then providing the support, to our struggling businesses.
WITT Top Shop
Another long-running event that promotes and celebrates Taranaki businesses is the annual Top Shop Awards. The fabulous Awards Evening was held at The Devon Hotel on Saturday 11 June, and this hugely popular event was once again a sell-out!
Congratulations to Big Jim’s Garden Centre, which won the Lifestyle and Leisure category, followed by the North Taranaki Regional Award and then took out the WITT Top Shop Supreme Award.
The Central Taranaki Regional Award was won by last year’s Supreme winner, Stratford ITM which also won the Large Format category and was highly commended in the Accessibility Award. Winner of the South Taranaki Regional Award was The Burnt Place Bar & Kitchen in Hawera which also won the Accessibility Award and was highly commended in the Food & Beverage category.
We thank our sponsors and event partners – WITT, Mitre10 MEGA, MPC Kinetic, Razz Print, NZME and Taranaki Daily News – who continue to recognise and support Customer Service Excellence in our province.
Please note that attendee numbers may be limited and RSVPs are essential.
- July Business Connections is on Tuesday 5 July from 5.15pm-7.00pm and is being hosted by the Ministry of Social Development at Dawson House
- Network of Trades will be hosted by Chamber Hub in Hawera on Tuesday 12 July from 5.15pm-7.00pm
- The annual Chamber Business Showcase will be at the Plymouth International on Wednesday 10 August. Registrations to exhibit are now open on our website
- Entries open for the TSB Business Excellence Awards on Monday 25 July. For more information or to register an expression of interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The highly anticipated 2022 Wellbeing Conference is on Thursday 8 September. Watch out for details on our website from next week
- Speaking & Presenting with Confidence – Series of three workshops – Monday 4, 11 and 18 July 11.00am-1.00pm
- Microsoft Outlook – Wednesday 27 July 9.30am-11.30am
- Blanchard: Management Essentials – Wednesday 3 August 9.00am-5.00pm
To RSVP for any of our events, register for training, or for more information, please go to our website – www.taranakichamber.co.nz
Is your business a Chamber Member?
If not, you are missing huge opportunities to showcase your business, grow your networks, be represented via our advocacy and be part of a vibrant Chamber network!
Let’s do better business, together!