Published: Monday 28 June 2021
Tēnā koutou katoa
This month marks four years since I started working at the Taranaki Chamber of Commerce. Our team here is hugely passionate about the people of Taranaki, the businesses based here and our land. In other words, tangata, pakihi and whenua.
Every time I sit down to write this monthly column, I am amazed at how much the business community supports the Chamber and in return how much the Chamber has been able to achieve for its members and stakeholders.
We have assisted in employing close to 100 people through our Chamber Hubs in South and North Taranaki over the last 10 months. This is extremely satisfying, as we can see the difference it makes to individuals and their whānau. The relationship between the Ministry of Social Development and the Chamber has grown over the years and our partnership is helping our community in many ways.
Over the last few years, Te Kura Matatini o Taranaki (WITT) has made huge strides in its suite of offerings for education and its connections with stakeholders. Together we are able to offer more opportunities to businesses and to students.
Toi Foundation, Venture Taranaki Trust and Tui Ora have all been working closely with the Chamber in different ways and have shown how community organisations and businesses can get awesome outcomes.
We have been building bridges with iwi for many years. For whanaungatanga (relationships) to be long lasting and meaningful, it takes time, as all good things do. We are delighted to see that the suite of services offered by the Chamber is being taken up by even more iwi organisations. Long may these relationships continue and may Taranaki continue to thrive.
Our province is definitely one of the best places to live on earth. Let us not forget that it includes a significant number of people that have homelessness issues, are victims of domestic abuse or suffer from severe mental health issues. The list is very, very long.
The strength of our community comes from how much we do for others, who really need help. We can show our benevolence in many ways. Gifting our time, our skills, our expertise, showing compassion, sharing our wealth and genuinely looking out for each other. When the community thrives because of the above values, the business automatically thrives.
WITT Top Shop
Recently we celebrated Excellence in Service at the WITT Top Shop Awards. Over 13,500 nominations were received from around the maunga and the awards night was sold out. These awards help us all to lift our level of service and to learn from the best amongst us.
Congratulations to Stratford ITM – winners of WITT Top Shop for 2021 and all the category winners and finalists. Our sincere thanks to all our sponsors – WITT, Tandem Group Chartered Accountants, Razz Print, MPC Kinetic, Mitre 10 MEGA, Taranaki Disability Strategy Coalition, BARA and Event Partners NZME and Taranaki Daily News.
- A big turnout at WITT for our June Business Connections. A presentation on WITT’s strategic plan to build an inclusive, skilled and future ready community was enjoyed along with the delicious food catered by the hospitality students
- Tandem Group Network of Trades was hosted by OPS who provide residential, industrial and offshore construction services to the wider Taranaki market
- Toi Foundation (previously TSB Community Trust) will host Business Connections on Tuesday 6 July from 5.15pm-7.00pm
- Network of Trades will be hosted by Tasman Toyota in Hawera on Tuesday 13 July from 5.15pm-7.00pm
- Entries open for the TSB Business Excellence Awards on Monday 19 July
- Microsoft Word: Intermediate -Tomorrow
- Social Media/Facebook Content Planning – This Thursday
- Construction Contracts Act – Tuesday 6 July
- Microsoft Excel: Intermediate/Advanced – Wednesday 7 July
- The Freedom Workshop – Wednesday 7 July
To RSVP for any of our events, register for training, or for more information click here
Is your business a Chamber Member?
If not, you are missing out on huge opportunities to showcase your business, grow your networks, be represented via our advocacy and be part of a vibrant Chamber network!
Let’s do better business, together!