Published: Monday 25 July 2022
Taranaki has several infrastructure projects happening around our maunga. Destination Play at Kawaroa Park is one of the more recent ones to be launched and will be transformational with the spend at about $ 6.5 million. The hospital project is now estimated at about $400m and Mt Messenger State Highway is approximately another $300m. Along with Yarrow Stadium, Stratford Park and Stratford’s TSB Pool, there is the development of the South Taranaki Business Park and Te Ramanui o Ruapūtahanga – the Library, Culture and Arts Centre in Hāwera, plus several others not mentioned here. This adds up to about a billion dollars of investment in Taranaki which is awesome for our economy.
However, one of the huge challenges for these projects is getting the right people to execute them. We need to train more of our workforce and make it easier for skilled migrants to come and work in Aotearoa. Government needs to engage a lot more with businesses to make this happen.
Local Body Elections
Nominations are now open until 12 August for our Local Body Election candidates. There are also changes to how we elect our Councillors from this year, with the opportunity to elect At Large and Ward Councillors.
The Chamber will be holding a Meet the Candidates event on Wednesday 31 August, which will be open to the public. This event will only focus on those standing for a Councillor position, not those running for Mayor. As there is always a large number of candidates, it is difficult to take questions from the floor but we would like to hear what business focused questions you would like us to ask the candidates.
Please email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org before 24 August.
TSB Taranaki Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards
Entries open today at 9.00am at www.taranakibusinessawards.co.nz
If you have any questions that aren’t answered on our website, please email email@example.com
Please note that attendee numbers may be limited and RSVPs are essential.
- August Business Connections is on Tuesday 2 August from 5.15pm-7.00pm at OurCloud, Devon Street East
- Network of Trades will be hosted by Rivet in Strandon on Tuesday 9 August from 5.15pm-7.00pm
- The annual Chamber Business Showcase is at the Plymouth International on Wednesday 10 August. Entry is free and open to the public but we request that you register to attend on our website
- The highly anticipated 2022 Wellbeing Conference is on Thursday 8 September at The Devon Hotel. For more information and to book your tickets please go to our website
- Blanchard: Management Essentials – Wednesday 3 August 9.00am-5.00pm
- Speaking and Presenting with Confidence – 3 Part Workshop - Monday 8,15 and 22 August 11.00am-1.00pm
- Microsoft Excel: Macros and Introduction to VBA – Thursday 11 August 9.30am-11.30am
- Construction Contracts Act 2002 – Friday 26 August 9.00am-12.30pm
- Blanchard: Self Leadership – Wed 31 August 9.00am-5.00pm
- Te Reo Māori for Business – 5 week Workshop – starts Friday 2 September 12.30pm-1.30pm
To RSVP for any of our events, register for training, or for more information, please go to our website – www.taranakichamber.co.nz
Is your business a Chamber Member?
If not, you are missing huge opportunities to showcase your business, grow your networks, be represented via our advocacy and be part of a vibrant Chamber network!
Let’s do better business, together!