Published: Monday 28 February 2022
Buddha once said, “Do not learn how to react. Learn how to respond.”
So let it be with the accelerating Omicron pandemic. Businesses are dealing with enough challenges already – staff shortages, logistical delays, galloping inflation, higher minimum wages, rising compliance costs, quasi lockdowns, curtailing events, the list is endless… Over and above all this, to have the fear of having COVID-19 amongst the team seems daunting.
It need not be, if one responds with calmness, rather than react with trepidation. Guess what? We are all still in the same waka. We can expect numbers to double every few days until the curve flattens and finally subsides. New Zealand will be no different in this regard compared to most other countries.
Some points in our favour -
- We have more Pfizer vaccine running in our blood compared to other nations
- Statistics show that people who have the booster are ten times less likely to be hospitalised than non-vaccinated individuals
- Most Omicron cases that are symptomatic, suffer from mild to moderate illness
- We are largely, a disciplined nation
However, our patience is wearing thin, with lack of clarity on the way ahead and many businesses already feeling devastated. Just look at some examples - sound, lighting and equipment hire companies, venue owners, travel agents, taxi drivers, any business dealing with overseas visitors, overseas students, again…the list is endless.
The Chamber is working closely with Councils and Venture Taranaki to provide some impetus for businesses. We can all help by supporting our local businesses.
We will get through this together.
Please note that Vaccine Passes are required for all of our events and RSVPs are essential. Attendee numbers are subject to traffic light settings.
- March Business Connections is tomorrow and is being hosted by WITT from 5.15pm-7.00pm
- Network of Trades will be hosted by Greaves Electrical in Hawera on Tuesday 8 March from 5.15pm-7.00pm
Please note that Vaccine Passes are required for all of our training sessions and attendee numbers are limited. Please check our website for details.
- Speaking and Presenting with Confidence Workshop Series – Monday 7, 21 and 28 March 11.00am-1.00pm
- Microsoft Excel: Intermediate/Advanced – Tuesday 5 April 9.30am-11.30am
- Get Business Smart: Financial Performance & Growth Potential – Tuesday 5 April 12.30pm-1.30pm
- Blanchard Legendary Service – Wednesday 6 April 9.00am-5.00pm
To RSVP for any of our events, register for training, or for more information click here
Is your business a Chamber Member?
If not, you are missing out on huge opportunities to showcase your business, grow your networks, be represented via our advocacy and be part of a vibrant Chamber network!
Let’s do better business, together!