Treaty of Waitangi 101
This beginning-level course is designed to introduce participants to the basics of Te Tiriti o Waitangi. It will be delivered as three 2-hour workshops.
The historical promises and breaches will be covered, allowing participants to gain an understanding of the current treaty issues.
Te Tiriti o Waitangi 101 covers:
- Personal culture
- New Zealand culture with some definitions of Māori and Pākeha cultures
- Colonisation process and its effects
- New Zealand history leading up to the treaty
- What the treaty said – written and verbal
- Post treaty breaches with a particular focus on Taranaki
- Recovery from colonisation
- Brief conversation about how this information might apply to your work and personal life
Workshops provide a safe space to:
- share openly on the subject
- wrestle with ideas
- question previously held beliefs
About the Training Provider:
Margaret Smith has facilitated Tiriti o Waitangi education since 1994, beginning with Taranaki Playcentre Association, then Taranaki Network Waitangi and now as an independent contractor in her business – Margaret Smith Counselling and Education Services.
Please note: This workshop is fully booked.
To be added to a waitlist, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact Julia at email@example.com, or call 06 759 9080